Friday, June 8, 2012

New IPhone or not...

Well I did something today that I hope I don't regret.  My grandson Jeff who just went on his mission is a master salesman and just has good luck at selling almost anything. He's just like his dad that way.  Two days before he left he listed his Android Verizon phone on a classified site down here called KSL.  His phone was the exact same model as mine and within just 30 minutes of listing it he had 4 people call wanting it.  The very next day one person came forward and bought it for $80  just like that.  My daughter said that people buy them because they can get them without any contract agreements and so they're in demand. 
Well I've been wanting to upgrade my phone to an IPhone and the cost of the IPhone with a new 2 year contract agreement is $199 so I get the idea that if I can sell my Android like Jeff did then the new IPhone is only going to cost me half as much, and it would be a great deal.  I also decide that if I'm going to do this, now is the time because my daughter Traci can help me learn how to use it too which is an added bonus when you're a technological bone head like me. Of course this could have been just me trying to justify getting it too, hmmmmm not sure there.
So anyway last night I prayed about the decision and felt nervous but also excited cause I really wanted to do it.  It wouldn't be so nerve wracking on me except for the fact that until I start getting a retirement check we have to watch our spending each month.  I mean we live comfortably but we can't just spend money without really thinking it out either.  I knew that if I went through with this phone thing I was going to have to spend my music money to get the better phone and I've also had a lot of extra expenses come out of that account this past few weeks so it was praying on my mind whether I should do this or not.  I called John who's up in Malad helping our son-in-law Neil's dad lay some tile flooring at their new house and I discussed it with him, hoping that he'd be all for it and give me the okay to do it.  Well he was neither for it or against it and just told me to think it through as the money would be coming out of my music account anyway, which I knew of course.  So he was of no help in my decision process either.
This morning after sleeping on it and praying some more before getting out of bed, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and get my old phone listed.  So at around 1:00 my daughter Traci and I went to the Verizon store and I bought the IPhone.   We listed my old Android right before we headed out the door and now it's been all evening and not even one person has called on it. 
I'm going to use faith and prayer and hope that Heavenly Father will see my need, or rescue me from my stupidity to answer it and bring me a buyer tomorrow.  I spent $200 in gas to help us get here since we're also going to be going to Grass Valley to a big bluegrass festival there as part of this trip and I felt like I could contribute.  Then my good Nikon camera broke and I had to spend another $150 to fix that, and so now with this IPhone purchase, my music fund is depleted to just a couple of hundred dollars and I really want to be able to go to Nashville in September for the last IBMA conference to be held there. I know that I have a few money making jobs with our band this summer which will help, but I'm nervous as I said and if my Android phone would sell I'd sure feel a whole lot better for sure!  
So with these thoughts on my mind I retire to bed tonight and just hope that my crazy old phone will sell tomorrow.  I need to remember the saying "Worry Ends Where Faith Begins."  Now I'm off to say my prayers and hit the sack.   Let's hope I didn't do something stupid today!

No comments:

Post a Comment