Friday, May 11, 2012

The Bluegrasshoppers debut performance today


The school here in Grangeville asked me if my Kids In Bluegrass would do an assembly for the entire school K-8th grade and today was the day.  I had a band practice with the core kids yesterday who I've pulled out of the group to form their own band, "The Bluegrasshoppers."
Today was their first time to actually get to play as a band with no help from me.  I've been telling their grandma Gail just how well they've been doing but today was her and grandpa Will's first time to get to hear them for real.
I was busy setting up sound in the gym due to the school not letting me have use of the room until 30 minutes before we were to start so I had the kids get tuned up, and I told them to warm up starting down the set list while I went to work on the sound system real quick.  Luckily I had Grandpa Will and Grandma Gail to help me so they pretty much got the sound set up.  When I came back into the warm up room where all the kids were waiting they listened to how I'd instructed them to warm up.  When I walked into the room and heard them singing and playing Angeline the Baker it just blew me away because they were doing it all by themselves and executing it perfectly, keeping time right and sounding so awesome as the mandolin, and fiddler were playing and Illyana was keeping perfect time on her bass.  Little Victoria was playing her banjo and grinning ear to ear, and Emilio was chopping his mandolin, all singing really good too. The two Nelson Boys Mickey and Matthew had the chords perfectly and were leading the others with their guitar playing.
     It was so amazing for me to hear them for the first time actually coming together and being independent of me.  I felt so touched that I started to cry and couldn't hold back the tears.  I've worked so hard to get these kids ready for this day and today was that big day.  They played a 40 minute set and I only helped on 2 songs.  It was a most amazing day!  These are awesome kids and it's a privilege to be teaching them.  As they left to put their instruments away some of them were singing their hearts out and it was a special moment in time for me.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment