Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fiddling down at Hoot's



Well today is Sunday and I need to hurry to get into the shower and get ready for church.  I've just had such a perfect weekend already though that I needed to stop for a moment and reflect on my blessings.  I teach bluegrass music to 13  kids each week, and now even a few adults here in our small town. 
It's the most amazing thing to me when I see some of the kids have "moments" when suddenly they are bitten by the bug and gain the passion that I have.  I've been privileged to teach over 300 kids in the 25 years since I started playing and a few of them have it in their souls like me. They feel the music to the point that it transforms their life.  They are suddenly successful in something that brings them self esteem and such deep inner joy.  For me it's hugely rewarding when I get to see this and know that they've embraced the music.  I have several of my students that are finding this in their lives right now and 13 year old Jarom is one of those. 
His parents had stopped in at a little ma and pa truck stop "Hoots", that's a community gathering place in our area and 3 times a year the Old Time Fiddlers hold a state jam there. This was one of those weekends and when Jarom saw all those musicians playing and having so much fun his heart lept with joy at the thought of being able to join with them.  A lot of the people in this small community come out to dance to the fiddlers and it's such a spiritual thing for me.  It obviously touched Jarom the same way which made me smile inside.  He knew that I'd be going to something like that for sure so I got a phone call from him on Thursday evening asking me if I was going and could he hitch a ride. I so loved hearing the complete joy in his voice with his message. 
I was able to go on Friday and I know it had to have been a long school day for him having to wait to be able to join me.  His mom made sure he was there right after school which lucky for him ended up was an early out day. This got him there an hour earlier than usual.  So he arrived there at 3, ran in the door smiling from ear to ear and immediately got his guitar out. He able to play for almost 3 hours before his folks picked him up, and he played and sang out so well that it was a rewarding moment in time for me.  It was his first jam and he had so much fun that he begged his parents to let him come again on Saturday. I told him that I wouldn't be able to be there until after dinner some time and sure enough about 6:00 I get his phone call asking when I was planning on going.  Shortly after that I picked him up and off we went again for another fun jamming evening.  
We played until 11:15 last night and he's definitely bitten by the bluegrass bug now.  Even though this music wasn't real good bluegrass picken it was close enough and actually was a real good start to his jamming success in the future because tunes were played a little slower and helped him get his footing.  He gained a years worth of lessons in just these two days worth of jamming.  Now today is Sunday and as I get ready for church and head to town my thoughts will be on how the Holy Ghost led me to Jarom and teaching him, but that's another blog which I'll write on here later today.  I'll just end this note with... It's been a perfect weekend in all respects, not just the music but the beauty of the mountains and getting to "do it all" with lot's of our friends, 4 wheeling, gopher shooting, the music, and now church.  An absolutely perfect weekend...All I can say is Thank you....

No comments:

Post a Comment